When it rains, it pours (especially if you are Ian Tregillis)

Poor Ian Tregillis. . .

It was obvious that something was wrong and that The Coldest War, sequel to the excellent Bitter Seeds (Canada, USA, Europe), would once again be postponed. So no real surprise there when the author made that particular nugget of information public.

What is shocking is the ordeal Tregillis went through these last few years, what with all those delays, none of which can be attributed to him.

To all of you who believe that everything is peaches and cream as soon as you get an agent and sign a book deal, I encourage you to read Tregillis' latest post. Hard to believe that Tor Books made him go through all that crap. Shame on them, really. . .

This is a sad tale. . . Especially since Ian Tregillis was such a class act in our interview from last summer. The guy deserves better than that.

Read Bitter Seeds, all of you!

6 commentaires:

Itchy said...

I read Bitter Seeds several months ago based solely on your recommendation. Fantastic read. Original and wonderfully written. Everyone should read it!!

Keziah said...

I'm glad you posted this because I've been trying to remember what this book was for months and all I had was a vague picture of the cover in my head (and the memory that I wanted to read it). Will put on my to order list.

Xenophon said...

I feel for Mr. Tregillis. As an aspiring author with just a few short stories published, just reading this was disheartening. Ian is a very talented individual, and if he has this many up and downs in the publishing proceeds, it doesn't bode well for someone like me.

I have been pouring my heart and soul into an epic fantasy manuscript over the last few years. Writing the type of novel I would want to read, which is far from mainstream. To read of the trials and tribulations Mr. Tregillis has gone though over the last few years, is depressing, to say the least.

You would think just getting it down on paper the way you want would be the hardest part. But it seems to be just one hurtle on a long road ahead.

Skip said...

I see something like this and I have the opposite reaction - buying his book would be the worst possible thing to do for him. He'd be a ton better off if it were to quickly go out of print so he could get the rights back and self-publish.

Jeff said...

Wow, I couldn't disagree with Skip more. Buying this book, and the third gives a budding author a chance to continue to grow their art. How many real names have come out of self publishing? Other than Palini (sp?) I can't think of any, and since his book was little more than highly derivative mediocrity, that seems to be a case of better to be lucky than good.


I would hate to see Ian's work struggle to find a publisher like Daniel Abraham's has. I would also hate to see such an excellent author become discouraged and stop writing because people didn't buy the book. I loved Bitter Seeds too much to wish that fate on the books.

-Jeff

Anonymous said...

not suprising. seeing as how the only two authors at tor books that get treated well are brandon sanderson (who might as well be the dan brown of the SFF genre no matter what he says) snd peter orillian (his book is not out yet...and even then he is being touted as a 'promising' newcomer), all the while everyone else gets treated like like the remains of a greasy pork sandwich served up in a dirty ass tray.