Shameless Plug: The Gap

Since this is sort of an unofficial Stephen R. Donaldson week on the Hotlist -- what with my Fatal Revenant book review, the announcement of the contest winners, and the upcoming interview with the author -- I thought that this new shameless plug would be apropos.:-)

In my opinion, not only is the Gap the best sequence Donaldson has ever produced, but it is also one of the very best science fiction series out there. However, as is the case with everything that bears Donaldson's name on the cover, it's not for everyone. If you have yet to read the Gap series, I urge you to do so ASAP! It's will thrill and disturb you in equal measures. The Gap is without the shadow of a doubt Stephen R. Donaldson at the top of his game.

- The Real Story (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Forbidden Knowledge (Canada, USA, Europe)
- A Dark and Hungry God Arises (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Chaos and Order (Canada, USA, Europe)
- This Day All Gods Die (Canada, USA, Europe)

And thanks to the generosity of the folks at Bantam Dell, I have a full set for you guys to win!;-) What better way to make this shameless plug what it's meant to me!?!

The rules are the same as usual. First off, you need to send an email at reviews@(no-spam)gryphonwood.net with the header "GAP." Remember to remove the "no spam" thingy.

Second, your email must contain your full mailing address (that's snail mail!), otherwise your message will be deleted.

Lastly, multiple entries will disqualify whoever sends them. And please include your screen name and the message boards that you frequent using it, if you do hang out on a particular MB.

Good luck to all the participants!

10 commentaires:

David Forbes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

(prev post removed eh? Thought better of dissing the Donaldson and his army of monkeys with human hands? :-P )

I read the first book years ago and one day plan on finishing the series (will probably have to re-read the first). I liked it well enough and think I bought most of the rest of the series, just never got 'round to finishing it.

BTW Pat, what exactly do you mean by "full address" in an email, especially in relation to international readers?
I would assume the following:
Name
Street Address
Town/City
Postcode/Zipcode
Country
Is that all you require in the body of the email? Just making sure my competition entries are valid :-)

Also, I'm curious as to how the winners are selected, do you use a random number generator or something similar? Just curious is all.

David Forbes said...

Jebus,

Yes, I decided it was uncharitable of me to rip on the Gap here. I do like Donaldson's other work, just not the Gap, but this is Patrick's playground and when I reread my post I just felt it was inappropriate. Hence the removal.

Dave

Patrick said...

jebus: Yep, that's what you need to include in the body of your email! And yes, the winners are selected randomly.

David: Feel free to say what you feel, whether this is my playground or not!

Unknown said...

Well done Pat - this is indeed his finest. Rotating roles of victim, victimizer and hero...the lengths to which desperation drives us. Just beautiful.

For jebus - the first book is the toughest, as it's all setup. The rest of the series is what makes this great.

Anonymous said...

I loved this series; borrowed the whole thing from the library so it would be great to win my own set. I think the series intensity peaked with the third book, but the two ending volumes were still very good. I took far too long to get around to reading it, since I preferred his fantasy novels and wasn't sure what his sci-fi would be like, but I should have jumped right in; it's just as good, if not better.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more about this, Pat! This is one of the greatest series by any author.

Anonymous said...

On a sidenote...

SRD recently just announced that the GAP-cycle will be re-released in the UK:

[quote]the GAP books (UK)

My 5-volume science fiction epic (collectively known as the GAP books), long out of print in the UK, has been picked up for re-publication by Orion/Gollancz. Publication dates have not yet been announced. Orion/Gollancz now has a substantial Donaldson backlist, including "Mordant's Need," my four mystery novels, and the GAP books--as well as, of course, "The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant".[/quote]

Source: http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/

Adam Whitehead said...

Brilliant series, his best work by far.

Mike said...

I read the first two books of the Gap series, and I thought the second was good.

Been awhile since I thought of finishing the series... Perhaps I shall.

Anyone know of a good synposis of Book 2??? To refresh my memory..